Travel with Me! Venice Italy

>> Friday, October 9, 2009


I was blessed to go on a wonderful Mediterranean vacation this month. We saw wonderful, amazing things. And I just can't resist sharing. So, mixed in with other posts I'll be adding photos and stories from our adventures.

Perhaps my favorite city in the Mediterranean was Venice Italy. What an enchanting city. It was basically built on a bog by folks trying to hide from conquering rulers. They stuffed timbers into the soil below the water and then built on the timbers. Because the timbers were so tightly packed together, they didn't rot. Amazing. Venice has no streets. Really! Their streets are canals, which have sidewalks on each side small foot bridges crossing the canals every so often. The sidewalks are in front of the homes and businesses. To get around this small city (you can walk it's width in about 20 minutes) you take water taxis (boats) or gondolas. The sidewalks are like a maze and the best thing to do is to just get lost and enjoy.

There is a tower in the main square that gives wonderful views of the island. It was at the top of the original tower (which collapsed twice) that Galileo showed his new invention of the telescope!

Have a nice evening!

2 comments:

an encourager October 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

A kindred spirit!!! I've been singing Christmas carols already. I just can't stop myself! Darling grandson (I can't wait till I have one to sew for!) and so is the tree skirt! Thanks for your kind words on my blog!

Thistle Cove Farm October 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM  

Venice is on my 'bucket list' and can't wait to see it in person. In the meantime, thanks for the mini-trip.
Thanks for visiting Thistle Cove Farm; loved having you and please come back soon.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP